Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"...we'd be saying it was major..."

I honestly haven't stopped thinking about Saint Laurent, as being openly critical of a person's creative output gives me anxiety. I've watched the reviews roll in to see how critics I respect have responded. This probably has something to do with validation, unfortunately, but I suppose that isn't so terrible.

SHOWstudio has been hosting lengthy panel discussion about collections that I just became aware of. When the Saint Laurent discussion video became available post live-stream, I watched as Lou Stoppard, Camilla Morton, Kay Montano, Mimma Viglezio and Harriet Walker discussed. I am less than familiar with these women, but have always been impressed with what the site does. Despite my unfamiliarity with the panelists, the discussion was thought-provoking and even a bit educational.

As far as the name change, the women provide sound argument for the name change around the 9 or 10 minute mark. Mimma Viglezio wisely argues that the French have always called the house Saint Laurent, as opposed to YSL. Camilla Morton additionally offers that Slimane most likely dropped the Yves as a sign of respect to his mentor "want[ing] to keep Yves as the man and Saint Laurent as the brand."

Not unlike myself, the women seemed rather disappointed. Viglezio complained about the styling, offering up that it might just be that aspect that caused the runway show to misstep. Kay Montano was not so forgiving, noting an issue I feel fashion-interested people (myself included) suffer from all the time (around 74:30). "I can't help but think if it was really major, we'd be saying it was major... but I'm just wondering if we're making excuses for him." Viewing digitally was also discussed and the argument was made that while appreciation is that much harder from a computer, you do not have the distraction of music and atmosphere to seduce you into loving the clothes. It's an issue I consider almost constantly during show season because I only have so much access.

It's certainly a lengthy discussion, but it's worth the watch if you're even vaguely interested in Saint Laurent, Hedi Slimane, or the politics of change in the fashion industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment