Saturday, January 2, 2010

"Let them eat cake."

My dear friend Julia was born on Christmas day, so a couple days after the holiday, she had a Marie Antoinette-themed birthday party. This meant an abundance of delicious food and champagne, fanciful costumes, and of course a showing of the Sofia Coppola film. I arrived early to make myself appropriately pretty. After much struggle, I settled upon a flowered blazer (Gillian's), a white shirt, a snow leopard scarf, my ruched pleather leggings, and black boots. My outfit certainly wasn't appropriate for the 18th century, but it was inspired by the outrageous wardrobe in the aforementioned film. I then spent far too much time applying mint green nail polish to my claws. Gillian did my makeup to resemble the wonderfully flamboyant hairdresser Leonard. We topped it off by sticking a couple of gold leaves in my hair.

Photobucket

I seemed to hover around the food table quite a lot, snacking on cream puffs and Russian tea cakes, among other perfectly lovely treats.

Photobucket

We sipped on champagne and danced to "Hong Kong Garden" several times (my doing). Some of us who were feeling rather nostalgic, even played Candyland. It was also nice to simply relax and enjoy the company of old friends. I can underestimate times such as these.

Julia and I
Photobucket

Anna
Photobucket

Julia and Ellen
Photobucket

Gillian (whose dress was replaced by a wrestling uniform)
Photobucket

Janie
Photobucket

Candyland!
Photobucket

Movement
Photobucket

Alison (came as a horse... that ponytail is not hers)
Photobucket

Ellen and Anna
Photobucket

Crammed onto a couch and under blankets, we watched the film, which was as gorgeous as ever. The night was lovely, though it had to come to an end. I had work the next morning, which meant sleep was rather necessary. Even so, it couldn't have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment