Thursday, August 27, 2009

Goodbye

On Wednesday night I had to bid my best friend Gillian farewell. In the company of other friends, it became quiet once we realized how little time we had left. It didn't help that "This Time Tomorrow" by the Kinks was playing. This time tomorrow, where will we be? Well...not together. My friend Julia kicked off the waterworks and I followed shortly thereafter. As I was saying goodbye, my sobs grew louder and more horrendous-sounding. It made us both laugh, because I am not someone who cries very often. I realize that this wasn't the last time I shall see my dear friend, but when you're used to spending almost every day with somone, the fact that they're in another state is a bit frightening. I've always been one to look forward, but I could never give up on Gillian. I fear that change is inevitable, but I will just have to face it. It's up to us to keep our relationship going strong. All of this relocating has got me thinking... What will happen when I move to my beloved New York? Whether that's in college or out. Obviously, it is not certain that I will move across the country, but it is something I am very determined to do, even if that means I am thousands of miles away from everything I have ever known. Even if Gillian is in Portland, and other friends are elsewhere, we share the common bond that is home. When living on the East Coast, people don't go to the West Coast all that often. Especially not broke college students/graduates. I feel because I'm going to the UW, I will not have the same experience as many of my former classmates, who will be going to new places, without knowing anyone. I have Nina, I have Julia, and I have several other friends from high school. I'm a bit lost in thought...

On a slightly lighter note, I am listening to the entire discography of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who I will be seeing next weekend at Bumbershoot. "Maps" played and I can't help but to hurt. Gillian..."They don't love you like I love you" Sad times. Hopefully everything will go smoothy and this storm cloud over my head will soon fade. I move in September 24th. Less than a month to go...

I'm ready. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment