Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Costume Institute Gala 2010

This year at the annual Costume Institute Gala, I found myself surprised by some of attendees that looked amazing. The exhibit that opened is called American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity, obviously showcasing the work of American designers. It's always exciting to see runway looks in a real(ish) context, though red carpet is not usually my thing. This party is definitely an exception. Those pictured were picked for a variety of reasons. Not all of them are what I might call "best dressed" (I hate those lists anyway), but I applaud interesting choices.

Oscar De La Renta and Oprah Winfrey in his design

Photobucket

Never did I think that I would feature Oprah on this blog, but she looks the best I've ever seen her look.

Anna Wintour in Chanel Haute Couture and Bee Shaffer in Balenciaga

Photobucket

I find it rather odd that Anna isn't wearing an American designer, though perhaps this is an effort to not alienate the rest of the world. There's nothing wrong with a little more Chanel in the world.

Laura and Kate Mulleavy of Roadarte and Kirsten Dunst in Rodarte for Gap

Photobucket

This is one of my favorites of the entire night.

M.I.A., Alexander Wang, Zoë Kravitz in Alexander Wang for Gap

Photobucket

Straight up rock and roll.

Nicole Richie in Marc Jacobs

Photobucket

This isn't a surprise to see, but it does look lovely. I found this to be one of the more conventional looks at the Marc Jacobs show, but I'm still enchanted.

Vera Wang and Mila Kunis in Vera Wang

Photobucket

Gorgeous.

Rachel Bilson in Louis Vuitton

Photobucket

I'm so very happy to see some Fall 2010 Louis Vuitton and therefore, breasts. Lovely.

Sienna Miller in Emilio Pucci and Jude Law

Photobucket

I love this dress on Sienna. The midnight blue is beyond beautiful.

Carey Mulligan in Miu Miu

Photobucket

Carey is always in Prada, so some Miu Miu is no surprise. I'm not obsessed, but I like that Carey dresses unconventionally.

Chloë Sevigny in Proenza Schouler with Proenza Schouler's Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez

Photobucket

I have no words. I just adore all of this.

Gisele Bündchen in Alexander Wang for Gap and Tom Brady

Photobucket

I'm loving this dress on Gisele. I've never seen her look so edgy. You know she kicks his ass in bed.

Phillip Lim and Alexa Chung in his design

Photobucket

Alexa always brings me a smile. Thank god for these pants.

Liu Wen in Naeem Khan, John Demsey, and Constance Jablonski in Jason Wu

Photobucket

Major model love. Liu looks so killer mixing those boots and that dress. Not that Constance is an ugly duckling or anything...

Sarah Jessica Parker in Halston Heritage

Photobucket

I just saw a similar look on the second season of Sex and the City. Sparkle my heart.

Jamie Bochert in Rodarte for Gap

Photobucket

I wish there was a better picture of this dress. The bag is to die for.

Maggie Gyllenhaal in Louis Vuitton

Photobucket

Again, the Louis Vuitton is killing me in the best way possible. Maggie looks insane. Ok, on second thought, her boobs look a tiny bit odd, but I love this dress so much I can't breathe.

Chanel Iman in Michael Kors

Photobucket

I gasped when I saw this. Chanel picked something rather risky and pulled it out. I'm not a huge Michael Kors fan, but this jumpsuit is fabulous.

Charlotte Gainsbourg in Balenciaga with the designer Nicolas Ghesquière

Photobucket

Charlotte is one of my favorite fashion patrons. She's fiercely loyal to Balenciaga, but her style never gets boring (the house doesn't exactly either with Nicolas at the helm). She went all out with the shoes too. THE FALL SHOES.

Cassie in Versace

Photobucket

I've never really been interested in what Cassie was wearing, but she looks great in this sexy Versace look.

Lauren Santo Domingo in Proenza Schouler

Photobucket

This is a dress that I wish I had another picture of. I always love what LSD is wearing and Proenza is always an excellent choice. That bag is lovely too.

Dree Hemingway in Calvin Klein Collection

Photobucket

I'm not a great follower of the Calvin Klein brand, but Dress looks gorgeous in this look. The shoes are gorgeous too.

Rachel Roy and Liya Kebede in Roy's design

Photobucket

I love all this pant-wearing. Liya looks amazing and Rachel doesn't look too bad herself. I'm not crazy about the dress, but it's pretty.

Coco Rocha in Zac Posen

Photobucket

Dramatic. Stunning. I would have expected Coco to pick something more conservative and I was oh so pleasantly surprised. One of my favorites.

Blake Lively

Photobucket

This is much better than the Versace from last year. The Marchesa is incredible, but still young. We haven't lost her.

Alessandra Ambrosio in Versace

Photobucket

Lovely.

Katy Perry in CuteCircuit

Photobucket

I love Katy to pieces.

Our Lady performed in Giorgio Armani

Photobucket

An exquisite ending. All my love.

Photos via style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment