Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This is for my girls.

If you know me, it is no secret that I run with a crowd of girls, hardly ever with an ounce of testosterone in sight. After briefly looking over an interview of Christina Aguilera on Lady GaGa in which she accused the media of pitting women against each other, I started to think about my relationships with women. My girls are my everything and it seems that my life has mirrored my appreciation of females to a great extent. So much so that I might consider myself a male feminist. This idea sprouts principally from my ardent loyalty to all women, especially in the face of sexism. I myself have a unique outlook on the population that shares similar anatomy. It's not that I hate men (I don't think), but among other things, I have problems trusting them, and not necessarily in a romantic way. The number of heterosexual males I keep in my company is quite slim and my relationship with my male relatives is quite shaky (though this has nothing to do with my sexuality). Of all the wonderful gay men I've met in a romantic context and otherwise, I cannot claim any as close friends. In my mind, my girlfriends and my mother are my family. I don't feel I need anyone else to somehow "complete" me, for these women are my soul mates. I never want to be the type of person who will choose a significant other over a friend. Besides the relationships I hold with my best friends and mother, my love for women is evident in my individual activities. I check Jezebel (a-not-so-arguably feminist blog) every day, I hardly ever go to the men's sections in stores anymore, my favorite music is by women, and the list could go on... Even in my coursework, I am constantly reminded of my feminist leanings. I take a class called Women Filmmakers, all of my papers for my Composition class this quarter have dealt in some way with power relations between men and women in the field of medicine, and I have consistently chosen feminine subjects for Art History essays over the past two quarters. One could easily claim that my adoration, infatuation, or whatever you'd like to call it, is simply an intense desire to be a woman. Truthfully, I have no interest in possessing any sort of anatomy other than what I possess currently. Transsexuality exists and it is a perfectly acceptable biological occurrence and I yearn for it to be better understood, but I am not transsexual. (As a side note, transgendered women fall under female in my mind, as I believe they should, and receive the same love that biologically born women do). I am simply a man who loves women to my very core and will continue to fight on the front lines in the war of ideological equality. This thought and Christina reminded me of a song and video I fell in love with in elementary school off of Stripped. Even then, I was one of the girls, with an undying belief that my female classmates could do it too, whatever "it" was. One of the things that it addresses is the double standard between men, women, and the expression of sexuality. This is something I've personally been frustrated by, as I am a proponent of free love and expressing your sexuality to whatever extent you please. The thought of a life without women like Madonna, Lady GaGa, and others is frightening.

This is for the women of the world.


Just as a note: I don't mean to canonize myself or anything of that sort. I realize that I say "I" quite a lot, but this is just a presentation of my point-of-view. Thought it may seems narcissistic to say, I believe it to be quite unique. Men are not necessarily the pigs we sometimes make them out to be and that's surely something I have to work on, but I wanted to honestly represent my feelings, whether they're "right" or "wrong".

No comments:

Post a Comment