Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Class Schedule

Survey of Tribal Art

Alexander Wang 2011
Photobucket

Celine 2011
Photobucket

Already it's clear that the diction regarding this course is a touchy subjects, as "tribal" and "primitive" often come under fire for not being politically correct. The fashion world also experiences similar heat when it interprets other cultures in certain ways. As for the Alexander Wang show, it's not the clothes, but the beauty elements that seem tribal, in the most literal meaning of the word. Bleached brows, septum piercings, and twisted, clay-soaked hair give the girls a ferocity that speaks to a less modern society, but somehow breaches the gap to work successfully with the urban clothing. At Celine, Phoebe Philo incorporated an artisan quality to the clothes, with woven pieces being my personal highlight. In my mind, they reference both African and South American parts of society that lack the urban sprawl Western societies are used to. That's not to say that lacking is a bad thing. I look forward to learning more about other cultures through this class and perhaps shed some of the ethnocentrism I've no doubt acquired during my life in the not-so-glorious U.S. of A.

The Planets

Christopher Kane Resort 2011
Photobucket

Photobucket

There is no collection more appropriate to represent my random Astronomy class, The Planets. Christopher Kane's prints of nebulae, galaxies, and the like are absolutely gorgeous and almost provoke my interest in Astronomy. The class itself may not measure up to his fantastic resort collection, but I'll keep dreaming.

Human Sexuality

Yves San Laurent Spring 2011
Photobucket

Marc Jacobs Spring 2011
Photobucket

Altuzarra Spring 2011
Photobucket

Sexuality is something I'm often enthralled by, whether it be related to my own experiences, in art, or elsewhere. Apparently, I'm not alone. At YSL, Stefano Pilati designed a lovely collection with elements of sex without going over the edge. Sometimes I'm not sure where my edge is, but such things are hardly ever black and white. A sheer top sans bra might be a frightening thought for most women, but I don't find it to be particularly vulgar or over-sexed at all. I generally just come to assume it's an American thing to be prudish in that way. French fashion, film, and other forms of art, often approach sex with ease, as if it's just part of life. Don't tell anyone over here, for they might just combust. Marc Jacobs also played with sheer fabrics for Spring to a more playful end, referencing the Seventies. The spirit of the decade is present with flowing dresses and exposed breasts. Sometimes I'm sad I missed a time for such freedom. As for Altuzarra, he went a more brazen direction, complete with cone bras. It is certainly a more aggressive way to infuse sex into fashion, but it's powerful and endlessly beautiful. Sure it's a bit vulgar, but it doesn't undermine or objectify women. It's a harnessed sexuality, not an accessible one. As you might guess, I'm quite pleased to be in this class. The professor is one I've had before and she mindfully acknowledges the comical situations that may arise, all the while expecting her students to leave ignorance at the door. It's all love, no matter what that means for you.

If this collection of looks is any indication, it's going to be a wonderful quarter.

All photos via style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment