Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nicola Formichetti's Mugler Debut

I don't know how to express my love for someone so simultaneously present and hidden, but I'll do my best. Nicola Formichetti is known most for styling Lady GaGa in the most incredibly inspiring, unrelenting, and fabulous of ways. Besides working alongside the pop superstar, he has introduced his talent and dark, yet fantastical vision through publications such as V and Vogue Hommes Japan. Seeing such a respectable stylist in this summer in Soho just left me in an awkward state of shock. I may have stopped on the sidewalk, though I can't remember, but a smile and a continued strut followed. After telling a fellow GaGa lover, he replied as if I'd forever have a curse upon me. I can't say I doubted it. At the very least I should have pulled a monster paw out and show my teeth, but my mind was in a state of delirium.

Upon hearing that he'd been appointed as the creative director at Theirry Mugler, the same headrush hit me. I don't pay attention to men's fashion whatsoever, so it says something that I've looked over the show and read reviews. I myself don't feel right reviewing it, as I have nothing to compare it to. I will say, there are definitely pieces I would wear and I would love to see men dress this way more often. The show, entitled, Anatomy of Change appears to be built upon a surgical and constructive way of thinking. Between the layers of latex, strains of black and midnight blue, the collection came out of the expected with a shocking neon orange and a vaguely androgynous feel. A film was published today highlighting the bodily nature of the show. The skeleton tattooing is a beautifully dark motif incorporated into the show and film. A remixed Lady GaGa track provides the soundtrack to both, with pulsing sex-club beats and aggressive lyrics (at times in German), bringing me to audio intoxication, if not orgasm. "I'll take you out tonight, say whatever you like." Needless to say, it's already on my iPod. Our Lady provides a perfect audio backdrop for the powerfully sexual collection. Another favorite part of the presentation as a whole is the veils that appear towards the end of the show. Though I don't imagine they are pieces for purchase, their movement is mesmerizing. Fantastic shots can be found at Jak & Jil. I must say, if a sexy tattooed man with skeleton-like face paint appeared in my bed at night, I don't think I'd be upset about it. Congratulations to Nicola! Enjoy this slice of ecstacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment