Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Androgyny Issue

Photobucket

Katie Grand knows just how to woo me. I was over-the-moon when I saw the upcoming cover of LOVE. An upcoming issue of the magazine is always something to look forward to, but this particular issue, covered by Kate Moss and Riccardo Tisci muse, Lea T. left me with more satisfaction than usual. Fashion has recently embraced a number of individuals that do not fall into gender and/or sexuality norms, inviting in femme boys, butch girls, and others to feel at home in the sea of beauty.

Photobucket

Lea T., for example, is a young transgendered woman who has practically skyrocketed to fashion fame, appearing in a Givenchy campaign, runway show, and haute couture presentation. Recently, she's been shot for Vogue Paris and covered Lurve. The reassuring thing is that her presence doesn't seem like a gimmick. Riccardo Tisci has communicated his great friendship for Lea quite endlessly and she's a gorgeous model as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another androgynous face likely to be seen in the magazine is Andrej Pejic, a male model whose long Barbie-blond hair and feminine features have caught the attention of several fashion industry players. His rather boyish turn in the S/S 2011 Marc by Marc Jacobs campaign seems odd, but I assume it's Marc twisting our ideas about gender roles even further. The Androgyny Issue is a cause for personal excitement simply because I don't dress like most boys and seeing alternative viewpoints being praised in a magazine I adore is quite the validation. I suppose there is potential for exploitation when featuring new and novel ideas, but I trust that the industry is so gay (and generally accepting) that this wave of attention is simply a celebration and liberation of all of us who don't follow the path we're so pressured into following. I did cringe a little when a classmate last quarter declared, "I think androgyny is becoming in." What an ugly word and a hideous thought, as if this is a fleeting moment. Let's hope not. I'll bet you've done us proud Miss Grand!

All photos via fashiongonerogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment