Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spring Couture 2011: Armani Privé

Mr. Armani put forth his taste for shine and space in his most recent haute couture collection. The imposing presence of jewel tones and a futuristic theme is quite the departure for the designer. It almost seems that he's taking cues from a relatively recently established client, Lady GaGa. Silky, reflective fabrics can be seen throughout the collection, appearing to be near-liquid, ready to melt off the models. Challenging shapes were abundant as well, sometimes completely disappearing to allow a stripe of more body-conscious fabric to emerge. On top of it all, saucer-shaped hats by Phillip Treacy decorated the heads of nearly every girl who walked. I will have to admit, I'm having trouble taking in the show. Besides the fact that Armani has completely flipped my vocabulary of the "Armani Woman," I've taken issue with some of the shapes, the fit, fabrics, and even colors. If I'm being completely honest, I even thought to myself (mostly in reference to this look), "How can something so labor-intensive and utterly expensive look so cheap?" Perhaps the view from my computer screen does not have the power to translate the beauty and movement of the clothes. My top picks are some of the most streamlined looks in the entire collection. I'm always up for excessive volume or odd proportions, but for some reason this show hasn't yet clicked. To be fair, I love the looks below, but I don't feel that way about the entire collection. I'll probably have nightmares about my various fashion industry heroes staring me in the face with crazy eyes and demanding me to be burned at the stake for my published criticism of an absolute genius. I suppose my blog is called These Lips Might Sink Ships... Never do I want to become a Cathy Horyn, a could-be enemy of designers, ready to criticize their work at a moment's notice. I want to help create a world of fantasy. I want to help write the story. Tonight I'm leaning towards being instinctual. Sigh. Now for the less serious part:

Bianca Balti
Photobucket

Julia Johansen
Photobucket

Anastasia Gorodilova
Photobucket

Olga Sherer
Photobucket

Karolina Kurkova
Photobucket

Laura Blokhina
Photobucket

Siri Tollerød
Photobucket

Alana Zimmer
Photobucket

Anna Selezneva
Photobucket

Veronika Pospisilova
Photobucket

Samantha Gradoville
Photobucket

Bianca Balti
Photobucket

Photos via style.com

2 comments:

  1. great poutfits !

    if u want follow me and write comment ;*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tube dress with the lack of accommodation for breasts is particularly hard not to see as a tailoring mistake, but he uses it so often over the collection (barely at all in what you've sampled).

    I actually really love the look on Laura Blokhina...maybe it's a case where you have to break a lot of eggs to figure out how to use fabrics with so much visual texture? The voluminous silhouettes may be an attempt to avoid the textural connection to fetish wear (pvcish materials get there quickly)

    Still, this feels experimental and hardly masterful.

    ReplyDelete