Monday, November 23, 2009

Seamless and Valentino: The Last Emperor

College has made me more of a busybody than I had ever been previously. Even outside of my studies, I am constantly doing something, whether it be my internship at the Common Language Project, getting involved with fashion on campus, or just spending time with friends. The fast pace has not been all that conducive to one of my favorite activities, watching movies. I watched two films over the past week that provided a perfect fix.

During the week, I watched the short documentary "Seamless", which is all about the first CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America) Vogue Fashion Fund Award. Often young designers, no matter how recognizable they are, do not make money from their business to begin with. Some never end up making money.
Photobucket
It was inspiring to see Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCoullough of Proenza Schouler in an earlier stage of their careers. Doo.Ri was also a familiar face with whom I identified. Anna Wintour of course appeared frequently throughout the movie, which transformed me into a giddy little girl. It wasn't the best documentary I've ever seen, but it was enlightening and kept me smiling.

Saturday afternoon, I set some time aside for much needed relaxation. A movie in bed couldn't be more perfect. I had been wanting to watch the documentary "Valentino: The Last Emperor", but I hadn't gotten around to it, so it was an easy pick.
Photobucket
The film was beautiful in so many ways. Obviously, it was a dream to look at, with countless pieces of haute couture making appearances, as well as the designer's incredible houses. It was moving to see Valentino's dedication and passion for his work so intimately. His relationship with Giancarlo Giammetti was captured at its core. There was tension, there was anger, there was fighting, but above all there was an unconditional love that I doubt I've ever seen between two people. To see Valentino's peers such as Diane Von Furstenburg and Karl Lagerfeld -two design greats themselves- show such admiration for him is truly powerful. Lagerfeld of all people, even noted that himself and other fashion designers make rags in comparison to Valentino. This film made me fully realize the contribution to fashion this man has made. Tears even started to well up in my eyes, which is a feat in itself.

Mr. Valentino Garavani, we miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment