Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Break...

My journey to the Tri-Shitties started after class on Wednesday. After escaping the dense traffic and arriving at my house in Burien, I gathered some additional things and departed with my parents, younger brother, and dog to Eastern Washington. We didn't get far before my mother realized she forgot some critical items, so we turned around, collected said items, and hit the not-so-open road once again. The drive was both boring and irritating, as expected, but The Fame Monster provided necessary escape.
Photobucket
I have yet to actually purchase the album because I'm dead broke, but I will definitely be doing so. Lady GaGa is without a doubt, one of my favorite artists, and I will support her in her production of inspiring art. After 5 or so hours, we arrived in the lovely Kennewick, Washington and said hello to my aunt, uncle, and cousins. The generations then separated; the elder sat in the living room and the rest of us crammed into my cousin Brett's room. Just as they typically do, Brett and my brother Marcus immediately started playing video games to my and my cousin Blair's annoyance. After musical chairs and the switching of games, we ended up just sitting and talking for a while. I was oddly excited about sharing my desire to try LSD and other hallucinogenic substances. We discussed trouble-making and such until my brother wouldn't shut up about being so incredibly bored. In a stroke of genius, someone suggested going to the 24-hour Walmart (because it wasn't already tacky enough). Somehow, I was convinced to go, and we spent an uncomfortable amount of time at the infamous superstore. An additional embarrassing detail is that Marcus decided to belt out the already horrific "Party in the U.S.A.". The whole experience was mortifying, but I survived.

I woke up Thanksgiving morning to coffee and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is customary at any Dolan-Sponseller-Westerman Thanksgiving celebration. There was a lot of sitting around until I finally showered and threw on some clothes. My Grandparents arrive in the late afternoon, but Grandpa forgot the pumpkin pie! Blair and I happily accepted the pie recovery mission. First, we stopped by a neighbor's house to feed some animals, and then we were off to Richland. After driving for a while and going through a frightening and absolutely useless roundabout, we made it successfully. Even so, it took us about five minutes to get into the house. The front door lock was absolutely ridiculous. We visited with my Grandma's obscenely overweight cat Butch, found the pies and cool whip, and departed. Upon my return, Brett was sipping some bubbly, so I knew I needed to get in on the action. Previous Thanksgivings have been disastrous familial feuds, so I figured certain liquids might ease any concern I had. Grandma was at her usual position on the couch with a glass of Famous Grouse scotch whiskey mixed with Pepsi. She may or may not have passed out before dinner was ready. Dinner itself was a pleasant surprise. I'm always disappointed due to the fact that I don't eat a lot of integral Thanksgiving courses (turkey, gravy), but this year I was quite happy and quite full. After dinner, dessert, additional drinks, and socializing, I found myself exhausted and took a quick nap around 8. Blair and I ended the night watching old episodes of "Sex and the City". There is a reason she is my favorite cousin. Even though it was an exhausting evening, falling asleep was a painful process that finally went into effect around 3 a.m.

Friday morning, I woke up, packed, had some great breakfast, and we were out the door. I was happy to be back in Seattle. After a quick dinner, I went to Gillian's house and spent time with my soul sister. Watching Lady GaGa videos, racing to a plate of sweet potato fries, and sneaking liqueur felt like old times that were much missed. The two of us went to Julia's and were joined by a few other friends. That night, I ate too much pie, drank boozy hot coco, and watched the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was glorious and exhausting, so I went home and slept like a baby.

Today (Saturday), Gill and I went up to UW to drop off my stuff, caught a bus to Queen Anne and saw the amazing documentary "The September Issue".
Photobucket
If I ever had any doubts about wanting to be a fashion journalist/editor, they have completely disintegrated. Seeing industry vets like Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington could not have been more thrilling or inspiring. I hope that their resilience and hard work on my behalf allows me to work with them after I graduate from college. They are personal heroes of mine. After the movie, we visited Ben at his apartment and went to Red Mill for burgers. The Red Onion garden burger did not disappoint. We watched "Amelie" and hung out for a while until Ben took us home. I find Ben's apartment to be oddly satisfying. He's always playing great music and there is cool art all over the walls. Gill and I sat around, listened to Lady GaGa, ate cookies, and stalked a boy. How typical. Julia came by and the two ended up going home to Normandy Park.

Now I'm in solitude, listening to music and eating soup. I'm quite sleepy. I should get to bed. I have plans for Dim Sum in the morning and I cannot wait.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment