Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cabaret

It figures that on my day off all of the people I'd care to see are unavailable. After hours of moping and cleansing the house of my mess, I decided to develop my relationships with film and food. A borrowed copy of Cabaret and salmon linguine delivered to my door fit the bill quite nicely.

Photobucket

The theatrics of old Hollywood always bring a smile to my face and I figured that Liza Mennelli wouldn't let me down. I was not entirely prepared for the beautiful experience that followed. Liza's character, Sally Bowles, is a flamboyant cabaret singer with a lust for life and a daddy problem. Transplanted from America into the heart of Berlin, her spirit saturates the film, aggressively pulling you into a world of created decadence. Michael York stars as her opposite, Brian Roberts, a proper Englishmen, who becomes fascinated with the creature, eventually breaking out of his shell. Sally's joie de vivre is what really captured me, along with her uncompromising personality. Her dazzling wardrobe and constantly made up face demonstrated a love of self-expression that I identify quite strongly with as well.

A major aspect of the film that I found quite fascinating was the relationships between characters. Sexual freedom and a polygamist view of romance were themes intertwined into the story, which I found pleasantly surprising. Homosexuality was even alluded to (while it is a musical starring Liza Mennelli I was still taken off guard). It seems to me that the frankness with which the film handled sexuality is not entirely present in our society. I suppose opposite views are a major part of that. Cabaret is not exactly a modest subject either.

I was also amazed by the political messages within the film. Not only was the Nazi party used for appropriate context, but the regime's rise to power significantly affects the plot of the film. I won't elaborate because I'm no spoiler.

The status of icon seems so cliche that one often ignores the title imposed upon entertainers, but I find that when such a person's work is actually experienced, the title is rightfully attained. I certainly feel this way about Liza Mennelli. I never understood why she is hailed the way she is until I saw this film. She brings Sally to life with such vigor that additional work seems unnecessary to fulfill an "iconic" resume. I was certainly not let down.

Until next time, auf wiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment