Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Am Love

Free from finals and moping about lost keys, I decided to watch I Am Love alone in the dark. I knew very little about the film other than the incredibly talented Tilda Swinton starred and it was made to be quite beautiful. I had high hopes for the film and was quite happy to see them surpassed. I Am Love is an Italian melodrama to the fullest extent of the phrase—and yes, as if she wasn't impressive enough, Swinton speaks in Italian throughout the film. Her character Emma is focus of the story, within the context of the seemingly ideal Recchi family. It is the fond relationships of some and the rigid expectations of others that fuel the story. The dynamic between Emma and her daughter, Elisabetta and that of Emma and the devoted maid, Ida were the most resounding for me. Emma and Betta shared a unconditionally loving relationship, even sharing intimate secrets spared from other members of the family. It reminded me a bit of my relationship with my own mother and the thoughts we share in confidence. Ida is like another member of the family and Emma treats her as such. Ida is Emma's rock, never leaving her side, even in spite of the often overbearing family. The film is at times austere, others extremely tender, and quite often unbearably tense. Through its narrative and its simple imagery it unfolds quite beautifully. The director, Luca Guadagnino, perfectly captured the visual aspects to accompany the permeating emotion of the story.

One of the visual aspects I was drawn to (albeit unsurprisingly), was the costumes. There was a wonderfully inescapable fashion presence from the simple sheath dresses in saturated colors worn by Swinton or the numerous Hermès handbags (Hello Birkin, hello Kelly) within the film. Even Rori, the grandmother played by Marisa Berenson, was undeniably fabulous. My favorite look from the film was a tan sweater over a blue button-up paired with tangerine-hued pants and sandals on Emma. It makes a short appearance, but the pant color is so full of life that it's practically irresistible. The outfit also appears a bit less together than many of Emma's other choices, as it is in fact quite the metaphorical marker—but I'll leave it to you to discover what I mean. Throughout the film, Emma looks elegantly understated and quite chic. While her style philosophies stand in contrast to mine, I can still appreciate the impeccable (and perfectly suited) styling.

As if it's not evident from the length of the post, let me just say, I loved this film. My overuse of the word "love" in reference to culture is widely documented, but I mean it with all of my heart. I highly encourage anyone who doesn't mind reading subtitles to watch it. Hell, I could probably watch it without reading because it's so damn beautiful. I've left you some of my favorite shots.

Enjoy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

All screen shots done myself

No comments:

Post a Comment