Thursday, December 9, 2010

In the dead of night

My sleep schedule is so unbelievably fucked, but fortunately for me, I tend to be easily distracted. I can't say what sparked it, but for some reason I needed to revisit the video from the Fall/Winter 2010 Viktor & Rolf Show. The show was not just a show, but also a performance art piece in which stunner and supermodel Kristin McMenamy stood like a paralyzed robot while the designers dressed and undressed her with the clothes and bodies that walked the full runway. One of the interpretations is that the show represented a rite of passage for the younger models, taking on the clothing of the older model. Another similar view is that Kristen was a mother figure birthing the most lithe and beautiful babies the world has seen. I love the idea that the clothes build upon each other. In developing a collection or even choosing what you wear for the day, the different elements all assist in building upon an idea. This show is simply a literal example of that. Whatever the case may be, it's an exhilarating show and certainly worth twenty minutes of your day...or night.


No comments:

Post a Comment