Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York

It seems as if it's been ages since I last found my way into a dark theater to watch a film. I'm afraid that it's just one of the many facets of creative culture that has been less and less appreciated as the internet has expanded. Going out to the Harvard Exit last night was a nice change from my dark bedroom and the often random choices available on Netflix to watch instantly. It was certainly refreshingly atypical to a more expected Saturday night. My friend Cy and I went to see Bill Cunningham New York, the documentary about the esteemed New York Times street style photographer, who in his 80s, is still running around New York capturing beauty.

Photobucket

In the film (as in the trailer), Anna Wintour states, "We all get dressed for Bill," so it seemed appropriate that I honor the man with an expressive ensemble.


Photobucket
(Thrited faux fur, Proenza Schouler x J Brand Jeans, gifted belt, Jeffrey Campbell wedges)


The film itself was nothing short of moving. To see someone so dedicated to his work and so unaffected by the rest of the world is inspiring. I can't even fathom such a rigorous existence, entirely stripped of excess. He's quite an oddity among his often highly decorated subjects—duct-taping cheap rain-resistant ponchos when they rip, riding his bike constantly, living among fiel cabinets—but is respected nonetheless. A particularly humorous moment sees Bill talking to press registration at a fashion show when a superior grabs him and tells the unknowing employee/volunteer, "Please, he is the most important man on Earth." It's quite the statement, but his talent for story-telling justifies it. Unsurprisingly, the film is visually thrilling as well. Half the time I wished all the photographs that flashed across the screen went a bit slower. The various photo subjects interviewed provide a lovely sort of fantasy realm that Bill dutifully captures. I am not typically in awe of old men, but Mr. Cunningham has truly blown me away. His hunger for beauty and sense of self deserves the highest respect. Richard Press has captured this in a film that is as fascinating as it is heartbreaking, and as hilarious as it is galvanizing. This is a story I will hold dear to my heart for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment