Saturday, May 7, 2011

Won't you come on over?

A void continues to expand in my heart (or at least my musical vocabulary) as Amy Winehouse continues to exist off the radar. I don't mean to say I am in desperate need of gossip regarding the tortured singer, but that I miss her music dearly. To be sure, her albums Frank and Back to Black are still powerful and absolute magic, but I can't help but to crave what may or may not come next. I've seen a few mentions in the press about her working on an upcoming album, but I'm trying to avoid getting my hopes too high. In a moment within nearly endless hours of dancing last night, Michael Jackson's "Beat It" reminded me of a live cover by Charlotte Church and Winehouse that I have held in my heart for a long time. It's certainly not her best performance technically speaking, with slurred wailing standing in stark contrast to Church's crisp and soulful voice, but I love it nonetheless. There's something fantastic about the ying and yang aspect to the performance, which is even apparent in the way the two women carry themselves. Another few performances demonstrate the undeniable and unconventional beauty of Amy's voice. Enjoy kids.










"Stop making a fool out of me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment