Saturday, January 24, 2009

KATY PERRY!

Photobucket
Photobucket
I have been a fan of Katy Perry since seeing her video for the song "Ur So Gay" over a year ago. From the beginning, I could tell she was sassy little spitfire, much like myself. I immediately bought her EP Ur So Gay, realeased in 2007, which also featured a remix of the title track, the song "Lost", and my newfound anthem "Use Your Love". Time passed and I continued following this quirky young singer faithfully. I believe it was spring when I first heard "I Kissed a Girl" on suprisingly enough, 107.7 The End, Seattle's biggest alternative station. We all know how that turned out, becoming the #1 overplayed song of all time aside from some Rihanna shit. *Giggle* I will even admit to being annoyed after hearing it 130891340814 times, but I can listen to it now without any such annoyance. The storm has calmed.

Ur So Gay
Ur So Gay


Her debut CD as Katy Perry (believe it or not she put out a Christian album years ago under the name Katy Hudson) was relased on June 17, 2008. I bought it on the same day. One of the Boys rapidly became my summer soundtrack. I listened to it constantly, and plugged it to my friends as much as possible. The album covers everything. Did I mention she writes all of her own songs? Happy, sad, angry, or "Lost" (clever, I know), there's a song for just about every situation. Katy played Warped tour later, though I was not able to/didn't feel like going. I would have loved to see her show, but I didn't want to spend all that money and have to deal with going to good old George, Washington. I hoped for a tour, with a stop in Seattle, of course. I got just that when she announced the Hello Katy Tour sometime in the fall. I alerted my best friend Gillian as soon as I heard, and bought two tickets the very second they came out. Last night, was the show.

After a long week of the suckfest of senior year, it was perfect. Gill, dressed in a cute blue dress, spandex, and chucks and I in a ridiculous gold sequined shirt, black jeans, and vans arrived downtown a little while after 6. Doors were going to be opened at 7, and there was already a line full of mostly tweens, their parents, random old people, and teengaers around the block. We waited in the cold, practically naked for the conditions, for an hour or so and then went in. The opening band was a bit, lame, but it was all ok. We were going to see Katy Perry after all...

She came out, adorable as ever, in a sparkly pink bustier and black pantaloons, looking like a glam ballerina. The first song she played, "Fingerprints" is a inspirational little rockfest about leaving your mark on those around you. During the song, she
POINTED AT ME! I felt like a fourteen year-old girl at a boy band concert in the early 2000s. I wanted to melt. I screamed in Gillian's general direction. She sang to me two or three other times, making the show all the better for me. I sang every word, while many others who had come for "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot N Cold" just stood their like idiots. I won't lie, most of the crowd was pretty lame other than the playing of those songs and a couple other dancey tracks. It didn't even bother me. One most likely drunk girl and her friend were up front, and the girl chooses to dance all up on me. It was a good laugh, as you could tell by my shirt that I was most definitely uninterested, but I applauded her exhibition. The two drunks left early, and she told me "I want you to have it", meaning the spot. I was overjoyed, exclaiming "Thanks babe!" I was the hardcore fan I am, dancing and jumping up and down, trying my best to lose my voice. Katy danced, jumped, rubbed herself, played the guitar like a motherfucker, and flirted with an unamused bodyguard. She was fantastic even while she wasn't playing. She told hilarious stories and made silly jokes, not abstaining from using her dirty mouth or making raunchy gestures just because there were kids present. She even provided sound advice and assurance before the bonus track "I Think I'm Ready" telling the crowd that love is an incredible thing that we will all find one day. She went backstage after that, as if it were over. Some people even thought she was done without playing "I Kissed a Girl". What a joke.

She came out dressed in a tight leopard-print catsuit, which even had a tail! Cat ears and Fuck Me Pumps topped off the look. She played a cover, took off her shoes and closed with "I Kissed a Girl". Everyone was dancing, screaming, making fools out of themselves. It was amazing. I was lucky enough to purchase a $30 for $29 and then we exited into the cold world. Gill and I took a detour to Capitol Hill, went to MacDonald's on the way home, and feasted in baggy sweats at her house. In bed, we talked about everything, like good friends do. This night was perfect.

Photobucket

Update: Here's a picture from the show, stolen from Miz Perry's MySpace.
Photobucket
So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment