Monday, October 12, 2009

Marching for Equality.

As you probably know, I am openly gay. I'm not all that active in politics, but there are certain things that are very important to me, one of these being gay rights. Obviously it is a personal issue. Personally, I don't see myself getting married, but it is absolutely unacceptable that people in this "free" country are treated as second class citizens. People think that because we are led by a African-American President and Civil Rights have come great lengths since Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., that America is progressive or something. In truth, many of this country's citizens cannot function with ease in today's society. "Protecting" marriage is a sickening concept in my honest opinion. The LGBT community is not trying to spread debauchery or corruption, but something we all could use more of, LOVE.

Corresponding with the marching in Washington D.C., Seattle and other cities across the nation marched yesterday. I was among those marching and chanting from Volunteer Park to the federal courthouse downtown. Julia, Alison, and I waved signs and shouted until we couldn't along with fellow UW students. Marching through the streets, fighting for love, fighting for my brothers and sisters, was one of the most inspiring experiences in my life. We were also lucky enough to hear several amazing speakers who are involved in LGBT organizations in Seattle. One of the key issues addressed was Referendum 71, which will protect Domestic Partnership in Washington. Oddly enough, I'm not registered to vote yet. It's now a matter of printing and mailing my registration. I cannot wait to be able to vote YES on Ref. 71 and I encourage all of you to do the same.

Here is some video from local news stations about the rally and march.
I was on Q 13 :)

 

KIRO

KOMO



Lady GaGa spoke and performed at the Human Rights Campaign dinner and spoke yesterday in D.C.





Chills. There is a reason why I love her and it is not simply because she has a killer sense of style and makes perfect dance music.

Again, I urge you to vote YES on Ref. 71 to protect domestic partnerships in Washington. I may not always be the biggest fan of marriage as an institution (that's a personal issue), but human rights should not be disputable. More than anything, I believe in UNIVERSAL LOVE. It pains me to know that members of the LGBT community carry self-hatred because of the way our culture has rejected non-heterosexuality. Learn to love everyone.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment