Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day?

Sex, sparkle, and sugar were integral parts of the past few days. Today of course is Valentine's Day and much of my weekend centered around the holiday for lovers. It's not that I am a fan of Valentine's Day in the traditional sense. I certainly am not. The last time I celebrated it "normally", I was 15. It doesn't make me feel lonely in the slightest, it simply nauseates me. I celebrate it quite differently, but I'll discuss that a bit later.

A couple days ago, I recieved the greatest valentine from Gillian, complete with sparkly sweethearts and chocolate. I sent hers just yesterday, feeling shitty since she won't be recieving it for a few days. My mother also sent me a box of chocolates. I am not one to wait for the "right" time and opened these both right away. Friday night, I went to dinner with my friend Nina at a thai restaurant and then went to a production of the "Vagina Monologues" in the auditorium of our student uninion building. The show was inspiring to say the least. At times, I was laughing so hard it hurt, but there were tears as well. The explicit, overtly-sexual, comedic monologues were without a doubt my favorite, leaving me grinning from ear to ear. Even so, the more serious monologues on issues such as rape were powerful and important in their own right. I left the show in a euphoric mood, satisfied with my low key Friday night.

Saturday night was a bit less low key. Julia, Alison, my new friend Tom, and I first attended a friend's 1/3 of a birthday/Valentine party. We were told to wear red, so I wore red thigh high socks, a red child's tutu, a red t-shirt, and of course red lipstick. Knowing just one person there wasn't quite ideal, so we took to the rainy streets to move onto the next. We went to Julia's cousin's house for a "Jersey Shore"-themed party. I of course was not dressed up appropriately, but people seemed to appreciate my attire in any case. Several people I had met on Halloween introduced themselves and were surprised upon hearing that I was the Rachel Zoe they had met months ago. Though I didn't anticipate it, I enjoyed myself. Most of my time there was spent just talking with different people in the kitchen, but that was just fine. Tom and I left to get Aladdin, hit the dorm, and then met the girls for a night on the dancefloor. We met some lovely ladies on the bus, who we ended up getting down with. So we found our freedom in the music for a quick two hours, grabbed a cab, and went home. Julia and I crashed in her dorm after 6 hours of being out.

Today (Valentine's Day) was spent celebrating in an unconvential way. To counteract the neccesity for a significant other or DEATH, my friend Gillian and I started a tradition last year in which we spread love through the giving of valentine's to friends. This of course required that we dress up in Valentine-themed outfits and run around the city. Today, Julia, Alison, and I continued the tradition--after our weekly breakfast. With me in the same outfit from the night before, Alison in a unicorn suit, and Julia in a cute pink dress, we went about our mission with speakers blaring Lady GaGa, leaving envelops full of glitter and Strawberry Charlies (Charleston Chews) for our various friends in the U-District. A bit of liquid (adjective) made the experience ever so slightly more humorous and exciting.

Photobucket
I actually like the blur of this picture.

Photobucket
Putting together valentines.

Photobucket
I wore several layers of undergarments.

Photobucket
Upon hearing voices, I was pushing the girls down the stairs outside our friends' door. Julia really wanted to take a picture.

After our deliveries, Julia and I headed to Capitol Hill where we thought our outfits might be more appreciated. After strutting around for a while, we made our way to Queen Anne to visit our dear friend Ben. The three of us hung out, listened to good music, and finally ate some shitty pizza back at school. Now I'm here, so very far behind on my fashion week coverage. I'm hoping to crank out some posts, but I just want to go on forever.

Tomorrow I have a day off school, which I should be using to do homework and study, but may just turn into a lazy day. We shall see.

FREE LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment