Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekend.

My main goal for this weekend was to study until I could not any longer. This meant absolutely no parties, no going out, and certainly no fun. Last night, while studying images for my upcoming Art History midterm, I had a bit of a mental breakdown. There were no tears or frantic phone calls to friends, but I sat wondering, "am I living right now?" Obviously there is a time for work and a time for play, but after skipping out on a friend's dance party and isolating myself to study for hours on end, I felt that something needed to happen. School has put me into a routine that is wearing on my soul.

So I put on my rouched pleather leggings and a torn up shirt, piled on the jewelry, and gave myself racoon eyes. I looked like trash and it was beautiful. I needed the freedom of the dancefloor, so I proceeded to call and text various friends who might be interested in a late night/early morning adventure. I looked to be out of luck, until I texted my friend Spencer, who was conincidentally a short walk away, at my friend Juan's place. After showing up at the apartment and doing a lot of pushing, I convinced Juan to come out with me. Spencer wasn't having it.

With my leopard-print glasses on and a cigarette in hand, I stood waiting outside with my dear friend. Watching people leave before you've even entered is a strangely humourous experience. One woman said I looked like a rockstar. It was appreciated. After ten or so minutes, we entered, pissed, recieved glow sticks from a friendly lady bearing kisses, and hit the dancefloor. Though sometimes stumbling and stepping on toes, I found euphoria in the potentially claustrophobic space. After two hours of heaven, Juan and I grabbed a cab and went to our respective homes.

It's now (Superbowl) Sunday and I have two midterms to continue preparing for. I feel a bit fucked, but I certainly do not regret my impulsive decision. I've been instructed by Gillian to go get pho and a kiwi bubble tea. That sounds quite wonderful, but also a terrible idea. Even so, I may just do that. God knows I'm not watching the Superbowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment