Monday, March 22, 2010

Full.

My relationship with food over the past two days could be compared to a short weekend retreat with a lover. Yesterday afternoon, my friends and I deserted our city residences to have dinner in the general area in which our parents live. "Home" to me means in the city, but I'll only speak for myself. After acquiring my mother's car, I rushed to make a side for the potluck. Completely ignoring the cooking skills my mother has tried to pass on, I took the easy way out, buying complete salad sets from Trader Joe's. Joe's, you are my love and saviour. The dinner at my friend Bridget's house was completely informal and relaxed. Much of my time there was spent harassing her new cat and old dogs. Since the main course contained pork, I stuck to sides including "my" spinach salad, fruit salad, sweet potatoes, and corn bread. I ate banana cake and apple crisp for dessert, finding myself on the verge of exploding. A walk and some attempting skateboarding, followed by laying in the rain eased my gluttonous pain. More rushing around and fleeing the suburbs came after. A night of dancing was topped off with a long walk home complete with sushi from QFC. Gillian, Julia, Alison, and I slept very well.

This "morning" Julia, Alison, and I made a real breakfast (one not served in the dining hall). Gillian left much earlier. Tasty fruit, potatoes, and eggs were on the menu (I had two scrambled and one over-easy). We ate watching Dreamgirls, the movie I saw on my very first date. It seems perfectly fitting for a gay 15 year-old and his 16 year-old cohort, doesn't it? Anyway, after lounging around for far too long at a house in Capitol Hill, we headed back to the dorms. Later, Julia, our friend Anna, and I dropped by McCarty Hall's convenience store/internet cafe Ian's Domain before it closed to grab some dinner. A long, trying decision, it was. I picked an Amy's teriyaki bowl. I adore Amy's because the company makes organic, vegetarian food that is easy to make.

Photobucket

In the most stereotypical way, college has allowed me to become more intimate with microwaves than I have been in the past. After the teriyaki bowl, I ate a leftover cornbread muffin, leftover mashed sweet potatoes, and leftover apple crisp. Even though I was quite pleased, it was as if I couldn't stop. I visited a vending machine for gummi worms and came back with both that and a bag of chips.

I feel a bit like a beached whale sitting here on my bed. Yes, yes I know, I'm quite thin, but I feel like a pile of shit. Bleh.
Worth it? It's unclear at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment