Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Days Two and Three

After a reasonable night's sleep, I woke up around 10am, and watched episodes of That 70's Show, while feasting on a glorious bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. When that became a bore, I danced around the apartment with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' most recent album It's Blitz blaring in my ears. This of course was in preparation for their show later that day. Eventually, Ben, Julia, and Bridget met me at the apartment and we were on our way. Our first stop was the mainstage, which was crowded, just like the day before. Even so, we got a pretty good spot for The Cold War Kids. They were a talented bunch, but not so exciting. I don't know much of their music, so that probably didn't help. The crowd was lame as well.

As soon as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs came out, I knew I had to get closer. I'm not a person who can sit there while kids are dancing their lives away. I pushed my way into the madness, singing along to Karen O's wailing voice. Her outfit(s) were thrilling as well. She came out in an odd cape sort of thing, over a multicolored jumpsuit, which had fringe coming off the legs.

Photobucket

It was a delightful, multicolored mess. She also had a cool necklace/scarf hybrid, as well as additional cape/robe-like pieces she put on for various songs. Their show was insanity. A DJ who introduced them promised they would "melt your faces off", and they did just that. Included in the set was a moving acoustic rendition of "Maps", which Karen dedicated to all of us fans. Someone said she cried... I didn't see it... Anyhow, they closed with "Date with the Night" and left us all begging for more. Unfortunately Bumbershoot is a festival and time slots are time slots. Laaaame.

After those couple of shows, we were all bitchy and hungry. We grabbed some food and chilled out by the fountain again.

Photobucket

Shortly after arriving, we went to the Swollen Members show, followed by Vivian Girls, both which I found a bit disappointing. I guess when two of your favorite artists play, it's a tough act to follow. After Vivian Girls, I chatted with a friend, ran into another, and then went to Holy Fuck on the second's recommendation. A few other friends I had volunteered with at the Vera Project were there as well. Holy Fuck was an awesome electronic band, which had a lot of us dancing. I find the mix of moshing and dancing to be really incredible. You're in a group of people, most of whom you don't know, and you forge some kind of crazy community bond. Sometimes people at shows are assholes, but this group was truly amazing. Despite it being slightly similar to a giant fight, everyone was friendly. Holy Fuck was definitely a highlight of the festival.

Of course life isn't perfect. During Holy Fuck, my phone died. After, I couldn't find anyone. I walked around, found my friend Tim, walked around, found my friends Juan and Leland, made phone calls, walked around, ran into some girls from school, another phone call, and finally found success. Ben, Bridget, and I met by the E.M.P., stopped by a show, and went back to Ben's apartment. We all hung out and met Julia and Anna when Jason Mraz was done. Bridget went home, and the four of us grabbed Dick's, went back and pretty much crashed.

I didn't have a ticket for Day 3. I didn't buy one. I didn't get a 3 day pass. I'm just an idiot who bought Saturday, and then Sunday when I found out that the YYYs would be there. So in the morning on Monday, Anna and Julia left. Ben (who didn't have a ticket either) and I sat around, and finally decided to leave the apartment around 1. I got some breakfast and a coffee, and we explored the neighborhood. We made a stop at Easy Street, where I bought The Dead Weather's debut album Horehound and then met up with Bridget and Ellen. We all chilled at the apartment, they left, and then Ben played music for a while.

Photobucket

Sometimes, I wish I could have a musician on call for me...
We then watched Batman Begins, ate a PB&J, and then met the girls outside the festival. Julia, Anna, and I walked to the light rail and went home.

What a perfect weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment