Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fresh Talent in London

Mark Fast and Mary Katrantzou were both recognized by style.com last season for both being recently-graduated Central St. Martins graduates-and talented ones at that. Other than that and talk that Fast may create a line for Topshop, I don't know that much about the two designers. I feel as though British designers don't get the recognition that French and Italian designers get here in the States. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't seem to happen. A list of designers came up on style,com because their shows had been reviewed, but Fast and Katrantzou were the only names I recognized, and they are just getting on the scene. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to London designers either... In any case, both Fast and Katrantzou put on great shows.

Fast decided to use a couple plus-sized models, along with "regular-sized" models, which will no doubt catch some attention. The collection itself was very sexy, with a lot of mesh and cut outs.

I'm not sure what to call the piece of jewelry hanging around this model, but I love this look. It's one of the more romantic pieces from the collection for sure. The shoes are also very hot.

Photobucket

This look is a bit of a marriage between the romantic and the sexy. I love the shell-like ruffles and the color pops quite nicely.

Photobucket

Here again is the interesting ruffle-like detail. It's probably my favorite part of this collection.

Photobucket

This model opened the show in a dress that I didn't like as much. This dress is definitely a show-stopper.

Photobucket

Here we are again, but in black. This may be my favorite look from the show. Absolutely gorgeous.

Photobucket

The skirt is amazing and so very glamorous. The cut outs are just right construction-wise, and as long as you don't bid them vulgar, they're quite beautiful.

Photobucket

Mary Katrantzou killed it last season with her debut collection inspired by perfume bottles. My favorite look was the opener, modeled by the lovely Jourdan Dunn, whom I'm so sad is off the runway this season.

Photobucket

This season, Katrantzou continued using digital prints for her dresses and played a lot more with construction. The prints were more abstract this time, but no less exciting. I'm not sure what to even say about these creations. They're so unique and so beautiful.

Ali Stephens
Photobucket
Charlotte di Calypso
Photobucket
Karolin Wolter
Photobucket
Alana Zimmer
Photobucket
No name given :(
Photobucket
Laura Blokhina
Photobucket
Daria Strokous
Photobucket
Alyona Osmanova
Photobucket

A gorgeous show.
I'm really excited to see what else London has to offer... Vivienne Westwood is always incredible. Can't wait.

photos by style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment